Joomla GoDaddy Installation
UPDATE: I’ve canceled all my GoDaddy hosting accounts as of July 2009. Their servers are just way too overloaded. If you want to feel an improved difference in speed and performance, switch to HostGator. They’re good enough that I have no qualms promoting them as an affiliate.
Procedure for Installing Joomla 1.5 on GoDaddy’s servers
1. Log in to your GoDaddy Account.
2. In the left sidebar under the orange MY PRODUCTS, click on “Hosting.”
3. Click “Manage Account” corresponding to the domain you’re working on.
4. The page of the Hosting Control Center will appear. Below your Account Summary and Settings is “Content.” Clicking on Content will expand it revealing different icons.
5. Click on “Go Daddy Hosting Connection”
6. In the menu on the left side below Advertising and Blogs, click on “Content Management.” This will expand the menu revealing Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, PostNuke, Xoops, etc.
7. Click on Joomla. The Joomla page comes up.
8. Click on INSTALL NOW.
GoDaddy tells you to wait a few seconds. INSTALLING…
1. Select Hosting
Select compatible hosted domain
Which of your compatible hosted domains would you like to use? (This needs no explanation when you see the page.)
2. Setup New Hosting
GoDaddy skips this step if you already have hosting and don’t have to buy compatible hosting.
3. Configure Installation
a. Set up database
Database/User Name (long series of letters numbers; don’t know if I have to but I copied and pasted into Notepad)
Database description (there’s an example to give you an idea)
Create a database password (must write it down)
b. Choose install directory
(You can install into a folder, into the root directory, or a subdomain)
GoDaddy lays it out clearly how to make the choice. No worries.
The FTP path to your Joomla 1.5.8 installation is: (whatever you chose)
WARNING: Installing Joomla 1.5.8 into an existing directory can overwrite existing files.
Admin Name, Admin Password, Verify Admin Password, Email
Your installation request for Joomla 1.5.8 has been submitted.
Depending on the application, your application may require additional steps to complete setup. View the status of your application install request by navigating to the My Applications page.
My Applications (the link to click on)
– – – –
You’re back to Hosting Connection page showing your Installed Applications
Status: Creating Database
– – –
Wait 10 minutes. Refresh the page.
Status: Installing Application
– – –
Wait 5 minutes. Refresh the page.
– – –
You’re all set.
Click on “Admin Url” which will take you to the Joomla! Administration Login page. Enter your Username and Password.
– – –
If you ever get lost in GoDaddy’s pages, just repeat the first steps. Click on Hosting which will bring you to the Hosting Control Center. There, you can either click on “Content” (below Account Summary and Settings) or even just the large rectangle “Your Applications. Manage site quick-install apps” between Your Files and Your Domains.