Eastern Columbia Building
The Eastern Columbia Building is a thirteen-story Art Deco building designed by Claud Beelman located at 849 S. Broadway in the Broadway Theater District of Downtown Los Angeles. It opened in September 1930 after just nine months of construction.
Built at a cost of $1.25 million as the new headquarters and 39th store for the Eastern-Columbia Department Store, whose component Eastern and Columbia stores were founded by Adolph Sieroty and family. At the time of construction, the City of Los Angeles enforced a height limit of 150 feet, however the decorative clock tower was granted an exemption, allowing the clock a total height of 264 feet.
The edifice is easily spotted from the Interstate 10 – Santa Monica Freeway, as well as many other sections of downtown, due to its bright “melting turquoise” terra cotta tiles and trademark four-sided clock tower, emblazoned with the word “EASTERN” in bright white neon on each face of the clock.
The building is widely considered the greatest surviving example of Art Deco architecture in the city. It is one of the city’s most photographed structures and a world-renowned Art Deco landmark.